Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
RE: U-556 Configuration and Paint Scheme
Posted by: Rainer Bruns ()
Date: February 22, 2001 05:09PM

Hi Raymond,
just sort of mulling this question over for my 1:40 scale Type 9c presently on the slipway. Do not think the brand matters as long as the paint is flat. But there is more to it. The treated decks showed varying degrees of colorations - apparently depending on on the amount of leaching the saltwater and sun, not only from boat to boat, but also on different parts of the same deck.
Recently talked to 4 crewmembers of the same boat (of which above is the model, trying to get the last detail down pat!). Got 4 different answers as to it\'s deck color. Purposely asked them separate from each other to avoid cross influences. Am not a lawyer, but eyewitnesses are questionable even without the time factor involved.
I think I will end up with a base coat of a dark muddy grey, then wipe on splats of iregular lighter brownish glazes of different hues, then repaint with a fine brush all metal parts again accentuating the edges for contrast, finally spray on a flat varnish for depth.
I realize this is impractical for a 1:350 model unless you are a masochist. Over the next couple days I\'ll find the time to scan and mail a couple color images showing the variety to you. You can take your pick. Rgds, RB

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-556 Configuration and Paint Scheme Raymond Groothuizen 02/19/2001 01:48PM
RE: U-556 Configuration and Paint Scheme Rainer Bruns 02/20/2001 03:17AM
RE: U-556 Configuration and Paint Scheme Raymond Groothuizen 02/20/2001 01:14PM
RE: U-556 Configuration and Paint Scheme Rainer Bruns 02/20/2001 02:32PM
RE: U-556 Configuration and Paint Scheme Raymond Groothuizen 02/22/2001 01:49PM
RE: U-556 Configuration and Paint Scheme Rainer Bruns 02/22/2001 05:09PM
RE: U-556 Configuration and Paint Scheme Raymond 02/23/2001 02:09PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.