Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Re: 1/72 scale U-boats? any chance???
Posted by: I Stapley ()
Date: March 22, 2002 12:28PM

Depending upon how detailed you want to go, you could kit bash the old Revell 1/125 U47 or U99. See comment below.

I have seen two diaoramas in Fine Scale Modeler (our American readers will no doubt be familiar with this magazine, & very good it is too). One depicted a section of a Type VIIc (or Type IX, memory fading) centring on the conning tower. The crew are at AA stations and are depicted shooting down a Catalina.

The sub is approx 1/35 (big) with crew and guns to match (rebuilt Tamiya?) the Catalina is 1/144 to give an impression of distance with a small motor in one engine to make the prop turn. The other has been knocked out by gunfire.

Another set piece is a Grumman Avenger to 1/72 posed banking over a 1/125 VIIc converted and truncated from U99 (cut down to waterline and just aft of the tower, to fit the base board). The differing scales and the enforced perspective make for an interesting model.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
1/72 scale U-boats? any chance??? Andrew Hinton 03/08/2002 12:43PM
Re: 1/72 scale U-boats? any chance??? Rainer Bruns 03/08/2002 01:16PM
Re: 1/72 scale U-boats? any chance??? Gabor Hopocky 03/11/2002 01:49PM
Re: 1/72 scale U-boats? any chance??? Dave 03/21/2002 03:39AM
Re: 1/72 scale U-boats? any chance??? Woody 03/09/2002 01:19AM
Re: 1/72 scale U-boats? any chance??? I Stapley 03/22/2002 12:28PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.