Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
Re: Revell Type IX
Posted by: texchap ()
Date: January 09, 2014 03:16AM

Please forgive me if this has been posted somewhere else. I did see one question and one reply but no other discussion. I have been combing the web for a factual response about the U505 at time of capture. I have seen it in the museum and I know that background of the painting of the U505 in the museum, how he aquired chips etc. I also know from reading that the Kreigsmarine directed U-Boats be painted darker colors over the original gray thinking it would help reduce their visibility. The instructions on the kit call for a matt gray on the upper hull, and a blue gray on the conning tower. One site calls for Dunkelgrau 51 in the upper hull and Blauschwartz 59/2 on the conning tower. Someone else said it was Blaugrau 58/1 on the upper hull and Blauschwartz 58/1 on the conning tower. I see in another article that in 1943 Schlickgrau 58, Blaugru 58 and Blauschwarz were directed for upper colors. The photos of the U505 at capture seem to show a darker gray on the hull and an even darker color on the conning tower. What is interesting is every model of the U505 I've seen has it Dunkelgrau 51 over all. Opinions?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Revell Type IX GrantGoodale 11/05/2013 02:57AM
Re: Revell Type IX Jon 11/10/2013 12:24AM
Re: Revell Type IX GrantGoodale 11/10/2013 12:28AM
Re: Revell Type IX Capt Kremin 11/16/2013 08:17AM
Re: Revell Type IX texchap 01/09/2014 03:16AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.