Modeling and schematics  
Looking for schematics or helpful tips on modeling? This might be the place for you to share your ideas. 
U-550 Decking
Posted by: Jon Jones ()
Date: April 09, 2014 11:24PM

Hello all!

I am working on my 1/72nd scale Revell Type IXC and am working on making the kit more like the U-550 than the U-505. I have the conning tower all squared away, and accurate to the U-550 thanks to the multiple close ups of her tower as she was sinking after the crew abandoned her. However, since the deck cannot be seen in the pictures I can find of her since her decks are awash, my question is this:

1. U-550 was layed down in October 1942 and launched in May of 1943. Would she have been built with the planked deck, or slotted? Based on the date she was completed, my thoughts are a planked deck?

2. Given her completion date, how likely is it that she would have her 105 deck gun on her fateful last patrol? (lost April of 1944) Again, my thoughts are that is would have been removed, like the U-505's was.

Thank you,
Jon

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-550 Decking Jon Jones 04/09/2014 11:24PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.