Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
RE: Grid System Conversion by Computer programme
Posted by: Austin Heckel ()
Date: October 22, 2000 01:09AM

All of these type programs were written six or seven years ago on an old computer which came with a 486 microprocessor and Windows 3.1 and DOS 5.0 (or 6.0, I can't remember for sure now.) The DOS system had a built-in QBasic program which could run the uncompiled version of my program. (QBasic was a simplified version of Quickbasic.) I haven't turned that computer on in over two years. So I have to see if I can still get a copy of it. If I can remember how to compile it, then I can make a stand alone program which runs under DOS but does not need QBasic.
Alternatively, someone could probably modify the source code to run under a modern language such as Visual Basic.
Incidently, the U-boat Archive has a copy of my program that shows the movements of U-boats in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean. It also shows when and where they sank Allied merchant ships. It too runs under DOS.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Grid System Conversion by Computer programme Ted Agar 10/05/2000 04:37PM
RE: Grid System Conversion by Computer programme Antonio Veiga 10/05/2000 08:14PM
RE: Grid System Conversion by Computer programme Ted Agar 10/05/2000 09:21PM
RE: Grid System Conversion by Computer programme Austin Heckel 10/20/2000 01:57AM
RE: Grid System Conversion by Computer programme Klaus-Peter 10/20/2000 06:19AM
RE: Grid System Conversion by Computer programme Austin Heckel 10/22/2000 01:09AM
DOS and Quick Basic SuperKraut 10/22/2000 09:36PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.