Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
RE: Small Arms aboard U-boats
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: January 26, 2001 09:37PM

Hi Michael,

According to “U-Boats Under the Swastika” by Jak P. Mallmann Showell (ISBN: 0-87021-970-7):

“Hand Weapons - U-boats were also equipped with a variety of hand weapons, depending on the mission in hand. The standard inventory usually consisted of six pistols, six rifles, some single and double barreled signal pistols and demolition charges. A few boats which visited land weather stations or carried out similar assignments, were provided with more handguns. It was usually maintained that men were not allowed to carry personal handguns on patrol, but there were certainly exceptions to this rule. My father (Stabsober- maschinist - Diesel, U377) for example, is reputed to have always kept an automatic pistol to terminate his own life if the torture of war became unbearable”.

The handguns would have been either 9mm Lugers (early in the war) or Walther P-38’s (later in the war). According to “The Luger Pistol” by Fred A. Datig, official Luger production was discontinued in December of 1942 in favor of the Walter P-38. The last batch of Lugers accepted by the Navy was in October of 1942.

I believe the Walther PPK in .32 or .380 caliber was a very popular personal handgun especially among officers.

In addition to the above, I know some boats carried a number of hand grenades. I also know that as the war progressed some light machine guns like the MG34 - 7.92mm (approximately .30 caliber) were carried. I believe that I have seen photos of boats with as many as four. They may have not all been MG34’s though.

I also recommend the site mentioned by John R., www.uboatarchive.net. I remember seeing the small arms carried by some of the boats listed on that site. I also remember seeing that they carried some machine pistols too but I can’t remember if it was in a book or in the inventory of one of the boats on www.uboatarchive.net. The inventory probably changed as the war progressed.

I would be very interested to know exactly where the small arms were kept on the type VII and type IX boats.

Regards,

Ken Dunn

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Small Arms aboard U-boats Michael Kohrer 01/24/2001 12:03AM
RE: Small Arms aboard U-boats John R. 01/24/2001 02:07PM
RE: Small Arms aboard U-boats james stewart 01/24/2001 06:50PM
RE: Small Arms aboard U-boats Leon C Gal 01/25/2001 01:03AM
RE: Small Arms aboard U-boats Ken Dunn 01/26/2001 09:37PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.