Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
RE: Magnetic Anomaly Detection
Posted by: Don Baker ()
Date: March 04, 2001 08:19PM

Hi Rainer:

1. My guess is that. in genera, a freshly deguassed boat would exhibit a reduced detectability (detection range). But the answer is difficult because we also have to consider the boats heading and latitude. If we could stand off at a fixed position and measure the total moment of a stationary submarine as it is rotated horizontaly about a central vertical axis we would also see a great variation in the \"induced\" magnetic moment with the maximum tending to occur with the boat near a north-south alignement and a minum on an east-west alignement. Also the \"induced\" moment tends to be reduced in far northerly (or far southerly) latitudes where the earths magnetic lines become more vertical. Also we must remember that even under the most optimum conditions the detection range was never very great. It is kind of like saying that the range might be reduced from say 600 yds to 400 yds - would that really make much difference? I don\'t think MAD was ever a very important factor in the submarine war during WWII. It was confused a lot by ships on the bottom and even some geographical features, and a lot of time had to be spent trying to determine what it had detected even when a detection did occurr. I can\'t think of any submarines sunk solely on the basis of a MAD detection. Maybe someone can shed some further light on this point.

2. I am not aware of any tests of MAD gear to determine the effect of de-guassing on the detection range - but that is not to say there was none. It is just that I never came across anything that would indicate such tests had been done.

Don

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Magnetic Anomaly Detection Don Baker 03/03/2001 09:06PM
RE: Magnetic Anomaly Detection Enrique 03/04/2001 10:41AM
RE: Magnetic Anomaly Detection Rainer Bruns 03/04/2001 05:00PM
RE: Magnetic Anomaly Detection Don Baker 03/04/2001 08:19PM
RE: Magnetic Anomaly Detection Don Baker 03/05/2001 06:31PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.