Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
4 October 1943, Mediterranean
Posted by: Theron P. Snell ()
Date: March 07, 2001 03:00AM

I am researching Convoy UGS-18. It was attacked off Cape Tenes by German aircraft on 4 october 1943.

Circumstantial evidence suggests that there may also have been a U-boat present, or at least shadowing this convoy. The convoy had been warned earlier in the day that a U-boat was nearby. A commander of the Naval gun crew aboard one ship reported seeing a U-boat during the air attack. Another ship may have hit an underwater object that might have been a U-boat. Yet another commander reported that gun crews on nearby ships fired at what he took to be a submarine.

I am trying to identify what (or if) submarine may have been involved in the attack on UGS-18 or at the least may have been tracking the convoy.

Can someone cite sources I might use...or suggest what U-boat may have been there...and what evidence there is to support the idea.

Thank you.

Theron P. Snell
snell@rli-net.net

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
4 October 1943, Mediterranean Theron P. Snell 03/07/2001 03:00AM
RE: 4 October 1943, Mediterranean Anders Wingren 03/07/2001 09:13PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.