Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: U-234, end of a legend.
Posted by: Bill Streifer ()
Date: November 02, 2013 10:43PM

Some of you may recognize my name as the author of articles in intelligence journals which center on U.S. Intelligence during WWII, POW camps in Korea and Manchuria (and OSS missions to rescue the inhabitants), and North Korea's nuclear weapons program.

Shortly, I will be writing an article on U-864 which some have speculated -- like U-234 -- was also carrying uranium. During my research, I stumbled on documents concerning U-234 as well. I learned, for example, that U-234 was a replacement for U-864, and that a third u-boat in the series never sailed from Germany to Japan when the war came to an end.

In addition, one document I have says that the uranium in U-234 was found in gold-lined cylinders, and another names that third u-boat, and yet another says that the Manhattan Project fully intended to use the uranium located in u-234 in their atomic program. How it was eventually used is not specified.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-234, end of a legend. Walter M. 05/12/2001 04:56PM
RE: Kptlt Fehler. MPC 05/25/2001 06:19PM
Re: U-234, end of a legend. Bill Streifer 11/02/2013 10:43PM
The Japanese Bomb Program Dwight R. Rider 01/29/2014 08:28PM
Re: U-234, end of a legend. Ed Dalder 01/30/2014 06:44AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.