Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Torpedo shot designations, German Naval ranks, Seekriegsleitung question
Posted by: David Wright ()
Date: April 01, 2009 09:32PM

Greetings,

I am new to the message boards, and was hoping someone could help me out. I am researching the German Torpedo Crisis and I have come across several terms for which I am at a loss understanding. I frequently see the terms "NAHSCHUSS" "SCHNELLSCHUSS" "TAGWEITSCHUSS" "SCHARFSCHUSS" "NETZSCHUSS" and "WEITSCHUSS" used when describing various types of torpedo shots. Although I know the literal translation, I dont know what they refer to in practice. There also appears to be special emphasis between the terms "Schusse vom Bord" vs. "Schusse vom See" when refering to torpedo trials and practice firing. Has anyone come across any/all of these terms before in their studies/reading?

Also, does anyone have a good source that explains German naval ranks/abbreviations? Specifically the technical side, for example the abbreviations "T.W.L." "T.W.O." (Torpedowachtoffizier??), etc.

Also, I need a good source detailing the layout of the German Seekriegsleitung, especially the branches focusing on torpedos. Not just the primary organs but also the individual departments and their designation. For example TWa, m.Wa, GKds, TAm, etc.

Thanks very much ahead of time!

David

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Torpedo shot designations, German Naval ranks, Seekriegsleitung question David Wright 04/01/2009 09:32PM
Re: Torpedo shot designations, German Naval ranks, Seekriegsleitung question Natter 08/27/2011 02:39PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.