Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Torpedo shot designations, German Naval ranks, Seekriegsleitung question
Posted by: Natter ()
Date: August 27, 2011 02:39PM

David Wright Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "NAHSCHUSS" "SCHNELLSCHUSS" "TAGWEITSCHUSS"
> "SCHARFSCHUSS" "NETZSCHUSS" and "WEITSCHUSS" used
> when describing various types of torpedo shots.

For torpedoes like the G7a, these speeds were implemented: "nahschuss" (NS) = 40kn, "schnellschuss" (SS) = 44kn and "weitshuss" (WS) = 30kn
The abbreviation was stamped into the hull at the slot for entering the adjustment-key, as to indicate what speed had been set.

I'm not sure if the other terms refer to specific speeds, or types of shots ("sharf" might be a shot with a live warhead etc.).

> appears to be special emphasis between the terms
> "Schusse vom Bord" vs. "Schusse vom See" when
> refering to torpedo trials and practice firing.
> Has anyone come across any/all of these terms
> before in their studies/reading?

I haven't got the relevant books at hand, but I'm pretty sure it refers to torpedoshots from ship (see) or from a teststation at land (like the establishment at the TVA Eckernförde testrange) in regards to testing/ ranging of torpedoes.

> Also, I need a good source detailing the layout of
> the German Seekriegsleitung, especially the
> branches focusing on torpedos. Not just the
> primary organs but also the individual departments
> and their designation. For example TWa, m.Wa,
> GKds, TAm, etc.

It's primary concerned with the development and manufacture side of the torpedobranch, but you might find some info in the "Wehrtechnik und wissenschaftliche Waffenkunde, band 17: Rüstung und Rüstungserprobung in der deutschen Marinegeschichte - Die Torpedoversuchsanstalt (TVA)" (Oliver Krauss, 2010. German text, 344 pages. ISBN 978-3-7637-6280-4)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Torpedo shot designations, German Naval ranks, Seekriegsleitung question David Wright 04/01/2009 09:32PM
Re: Torpedo shot designations, German Naval ranks, Seekriegsleitung question Natter 08/27/2011 02:39PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.