Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: HF Communications from Fortress Jutphaas near Utrecht.
Posted by: Funkmeister ()
Date: November 29, 2009 04:08PM

Hello!
It could be HF (High Frequency) transmitter, but they had few very good HF transmitters in the vicinity, like Kootwijk, Borkum, Norddeich and Kiel, so I am not sure it was "ordinary" HF transmitter, but I am not sure, of course.
There were many intercept radio stations of German Navy radio intelligence service, B-Dienst. And, the each station had its own DF (direction finding) sub-stations.
For example, one of the stations was in Castle Terlinden just outside the village of Sint Andries near Bruges, Belgium and it was connected with DF stations at Ostends, Belgium; Maasluis, Holland, and Le Touquet, France. It is just one example! And the all DF stations had their own sub-stations.
They also had experimental stations for radar, and they also had stations for reconnaissance of the enemy radar signals...
Perhaps it was kind of dislocated command place of the German navy, or kind of regional command place? In that case they had HF radio communication, of course.
The Germans had excellent radio networks. The networks were named (mainly) by the world's region, it was coastal network, for the U-boats in the Biscay and the North Sea, network Ireland for the central Atlantic, America for the western Atlantic, Africa for the Indian ocean etc etc. They also had networks for convoy operations, Diana and Hubertus, used by the wolfpacks which attacked particular convoy...

The each network (circuit, in American and British documents) consisted of few HF frequency bands, 4, 8, 12, 16 MHz, and one VLF frequency. because I think you are radio amateur, I think you understand why they used different bands (during a day) in one network.

Hope I helped at least a little.
Best regards!
Funkmeister

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
HF Communications from Fortress Jutphaas near Utrecht. pa3jd 11/29/2009 02:01PM
Re: HF Communications from Fortress Jutphaas near Utrecht. Funkmeister 11/29/2009 04:08PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.