Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Milch Cow resupply technique?
Posted by: Jamson ()
Date: August 11, 2010 05:59AM

I'm fascinated by the converted Type IXD "Milk Cows" but I can't find any details on how they resupplied and rearmed the combat subs. Did the subs connect two fuel lines and just pump diesel from tank to tank, or did one toss a hose over to the other and connect directly? For food supplies, did they rig up one of those block and tackle sets and run crates between them? Were the subs stationary or moving during transfer? This must've been done at night; was it a hairy procedure? How the hell did they transfer torpedoes? Maybe they just stopped and thew a gangplank across the gap? Can you tell I have no clue about any of it?

Can anyone point me to a good online source? Any (translated) primary sources you might know of offhand which describe these processes or show them in action?

Thanks in advance...I love logistics but it suffers from "unsexy syndrome"

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Milch Cow resupply technique? Jamson 08/11/2010 05:59AM
Re: Milch Cow resupply technique? Ken Dunn 08/11/2010 01:05PM
Re: Milch Cow resupply technique? Jamson 08/11/2010 04:55PM
Re: Milch Cow resupply technique? ThomasHorton 08/11/2010 06:03PM
Re: Milch Cow resupply technique? Richard Carr 09/06/2010 04:33PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.