Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Misfires with WWI torpedoes
Posted by: author ()
Date: October 18, 2010 02:09PM

I am an author of several award winning stage and screenplays. I also write historical novels that are historically and technically correct as I am fussy about details. I have used uboat.net for research but never the forum. I have a question I need answered and figured I'd best toss it out to all you fellows here as you are the experts and I have not been able to find answers in my research. My current project is a historical novel about the sinking of the Lusitania. It is done in the style Shaara used for GETTYSBURG using many viewpoints. My technical question involves the repair of misfired torpedos. One of my research books I am using was written by Ballard. From what I can deduce his count of torpedoes fired by Schwieger at other targets on his patrol is off (the U-20 carried 6 and he was supposed to save 2 for the return trip) unless the misfired one was repaired and used. By Ballard's description of the misfired one there was no hiss of compressed air in the firing procedure. He goes on to describe it as "sitting in its tube, totally useless, yet nail-bitingly dangerous, because it might explode at any moment". Not being that familiar with WWI torpedo technology I am not sure if it could have been repaired or if so how it was done. I am far more familiar with the WWII U-boats and torpedo inspections and servicing etc.. Can you guys help answer this? Need this info for the novel ASAP. OK to answer here or my regular e-mail: fortseneca@hardynet,com

Thanks,
Nick

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Misfires with WWI torpedoes author 10/18/2010 02:09PM
Re: Misfires with WWI torpedoes ROBERT M. 10/18/2010 08:12PM
Re: Misfires with WWI torpedoes ThomasHorton 10/20/2010 03:40PM
Re: Misfires with WWI torpedoes ROBERT M. 10/20/2010 05:23PM
Re: Misfires with WWI torpedoes author 10/28/2010 11:38AM
Re: Misfires with WWI torpedoes ThomasHorton 10/28/2010 06:02PM
Re: Misfires with WWI torpedoes ROBERT M. 10/28/2010 09:50PM
Re: Misfires with WWI torpedoes ThomasHorton 11/03/2010 07:45PM
Re: Misfires with WWI torpedoes ROBERT M. 11/03/2010 08:34PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.