Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
How long it was necessary to decode Enigma messages ?
Posted by: Richard Milkcow ()
Date: April 20, 2011 10:43AM

Hello everybody.

I'm Richard, from Switzerland, and this is my firt message here.

I asked this question to myself : how long it was necesssary to decode/encode Enigma messages ?

Sounds like a long processus to me :
- Translating the Morse code.
- Setting the Enigma machine.
- Decoding the message.
- Transmitting the message to the Kaleun.
And if the message requires an answer :
- Writting the answer.
- Coding the answer with the Enignma machine.
- Sending the coded answer by Morse code to the BDU.

The radiomen were fast, but it's sounds like a never-ending operation (specialy during Wolfpacks). There was some important delays between a message and its answer I think.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
How long it was necessary to decode Enigma messages ? Richard Milkcow 04/20/2011 10:43AM
Re: How long it was necessary to decode Enigma messages ? ThomasHorton 04/21/2011 04:49PM
Re: How long it was necessary to decode Enigma messages ? Seeker 04/25/2011 06:16PM
Re: How long it was necessary to decode Enigma messages ? Ken Dunn 04/25/2011 08:43PM
Re: How long it was necessary to decode Enigma messages ? Dan Girard 04/28/2011 12:35AM
Re: How long it was necessary to decode Enigma messages ? ThomasHorton 04/28/2011 05:03PM
Re: How long it was necessary to decode Enigma messages ? Dan Girard 04/28/2011 06:40PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.