WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
FdU/BdU KTBs 1916/1917
Posted by: Dirk Steffen ()
Date: December 14, 2006 12:35PM

Dear all!

I have just "re-discovered" the U-Boat Net after a few years of absence and I am very impressed with the wealth of information that is available on WW1 now.

Having read through some of the threads I see that quite a few of the members here have copies of U-boat KTBs and other archival sources. I am currently working on a project on the U-Boat war in 1917 (the fourth offensive). I've got most of the strategic aspects covered, but I still have to look at a few operational aspects and do some of the maths.

Specifically, I am interested in the KTB of the FdU (+ FdU Flanders) and the BdU (period end of 1916 through end of 1917) and, ideally, related correspondence pertaining to the reaction to the allied introduction of convoys (discussions on group tactics, use of U-Cruisers as "group leaders", improvements in signals intelligence for U-boats etc.) .

Does anyone here have these documents, and if so, would they be prepared to share them? I will pay for copies and postage (obviously) + a reasonable compensation for your effors, or, if the docs are on microfilm, I would pay a deposit for borrowing them. Alternatively, I would be happy to enter reciprocal arrangements; I am fluent in German and English and I can read old German hand writing. I would be happy to translate original documents or deal with German institutions in return for any assistance given to me. Naturally, I will share my archives as well, although my primary material is confined largely to Admiralstab documents and printed primary documents from the BA-MA.

My references are (just in case anyone's interested):
[www.gwpda.org]
and articles in: Schiff & Zeit 2/2005 (Kapitän Nemos Erben - Aufstieg und Niedergang des französischen U-Bootbaus 1885-1905) and Journal of Military History 2/2004 (Document of Note: the Holtzendorff Memorandum).

I look forward to your replies and (possible) help. You can also contact me directly at dirk.steffen@bluebottle.com if you prefer to do so.

Many thanks

Dirk

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
FdU/BdU KTBs 1916/1917 Dirk Steffen 12/14/2006 12:35PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.