WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin
Posted by: Eric S ()
Date: January 24, 2007 05:14PM

Pat,

Never fear;-) Ken, in his usual thoroughness has a paragraph on library resources as well, including on-line.

Daniel's link is free, but unfortunately most of the papers drop off in the '30's. Good enough for WW1, which I assume is his interest and why he posted on this section of the forum. Many of the papers look like they have the potential for extending past this time period, and hopefully they will fill in those blanks as well later on.

I know newspaperarchive.com is a work in progress, but they do seem to be going fast and furious getting new (old) papers scanned in. They offer a one month sign up for a nominal fee which may be just the ticket for someone searching on a single event. I liked the ability to scan many smaller town newspapers on the same story. The AP reference that led to my aquiring the fantastic photo of Arkansan was found in the 'Syracuse Herald-American'.

The Google News Archive is free (as a search) and many of the hits are in various newspapers (and actually point to newspaperarchive.com as well), but it also hit on some interesting legal briefs and other non-newspaper related sites.

In my case I found legal info involving a lawsuit filed by a crewmember of Arkansan, who attempted to sue the owners because he was injured in the attack noted in the newspapers. Arkansan was caught up in a Luftwaffe attack on Port Suez September 11th, 1941 where she was unloading supplies to British forces prior to formal US involvement in the war. The crewmember (who signed up for a voyage he knew was going into a war zone) was injured and blamed American Hawiian for not leaving the ships lights on so that the JU-88's screaming in could recogize her as a neutral ship and not bomb her;-D And I always thought we didn't become become sue-happy until the 60's or 70's.

Best Regards,

Eric

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Online Daniel Stern 01/18/2007 08:35PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin Eric S 01/21/2007 04:43PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin PatW 01/23/2007 02:03PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin Eric S 01/24/2007 05:14PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archive Onlin Daniel Stern 01/27/2007 08:12PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin Yves D 01/22/2007 12:21PM
Re: U-boat photos/stories in Wiener Bilder - In Austrian Newspaper Archine Onlin Ed Dalder 02/08/2007 01:01AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.