WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
U.S. ships lost
Posted by: Rodney Carlisle ()
Date: September 25, 2007 02:41PM

Michael:
I have copied the map showing the minefield that probably was responsible for the loss of Healdton in March 1917, and I am quite sure that you are correct in concluding that that U.S. tanker was lost to a British mine.The map was in Der Krieg in der Nordsee, Map 16, as you said.

Looking at the US Merchant Marine list of ships lost in WWI, I see fourteen others for which no identified submarine was listed. Most of these 14 were lost near shore and may have also been lost to mines, but have been erroneously listed as lost to torpedoes. Do you think any or all of the following were lost to mines?

Hilonian May 16 1917
John D. Archbold June 16 1917
Motano July 31 1917
Owasco Dec 10 1917
Armenia Feb 9 1918
A.A.Raven Mar 14 1918
John G. McCullough May 18 1918
Lake Portage Aug 3 1918
Berwind Aug 3 1918
Lake Owens Sept 3 1918
Caloria Oct 16 1918

I was able to check Der Handelskrieg mit U-Booten for some other ships at a distant library, but did not get a chance to look up any of those listed above. It would be very interesting to learn if some or all of these were mined. Together,they represented quite a few of the fatalities recorded on U.S. merchant ships lost in the war.

The listing above was derived from the Internet-posted U.S. Merchant marine losses in WWI, and those shown above had no specific U-boat identified, and none of them were listed as having been destroyed by gunfire, but all by "torpedo" which could have been a mine in some or all cases.

Rodney Carlisle

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U.S. ships lost Rodney Carlisle 09/25/2007 02:41PM
Re: U.S. ships lost Michael Lowrey 09/25/2007 05:41PM
Re: U.S. ships lost Rodney Carlisle 09/25/2007 07:28PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.