WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Any logs show uboats off Terschelling March 21 1917
Posted by: R.Carlisle ()
Date: October 04, 2007 03:18AM

All
I am still trying to reconcile the fact that the captain of Healdton (a reliable witness, it seems) stated that he saw a submarine about 8:15 or 8:30 p.m. on the night of March 21, 1917, near his sinking tanker. Although it seems he probably struck a mine laid three nights before by the British some 23 miles north by east from Terschelling Light, he (and other survivors) were certain they spotted a submarine surfacing. I wonder if a log of a U-boat that returned later mentioned seeing the tanker afire that night, or if there is some other explanation for Captain Chrisopher's report for spotting a submarine. If anyone who has gone through the logs of the u-boat commanders remembers such an observation, it would solve a very interesting mystery!
Thanks to others on u-boat net, I have learned a lot about the British minefield and sources that document it. However, I am not able to explain why the survivors of the tanker sinking saw (or thought they saw) a submarine that night.

R. Carlisle

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Any logs show uboats off Terschelling March 21 1917 R.Carlisle 10/04/2007 03:18AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.