WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
U-boats vs HM Submarines
Posted by: Nom Anor ()
Date: June 04, 2012 02:07AM

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding some encounters between U-boats and British submarines.

First, Naval-history.net says that the British submarine B 3 was attacked by a U-boat south of the Goodwins in the Dover Straits on 2 October 1914. It’s claimed that the attacker might have been U 18:

[www.naval-history.net]

(I’ve also read about this claim in “The German Submarine War”, but that’s a very old book.)

So, the question I’d like to ask is, could B 3’s attacker really have been U 18? If not, is it known which U-boat was responsible?

My other question concerns the submarine C 4. I’ve read in several online sources that this boat made two attacks against U-boats, one on 26 September 1917 and the other on 27 March 1918:

[www.maritimequest.com]

[www.britsub.net]

Unfortunately, I didn’t come across any position information beyond that the second attack supposedly took place off Beachy Head. What’s interesting is the claim that the U boat logs later revealed both attacks to be hits, but the torpedoes failed to explode.

I don’t know what to make of this information. I’m no expert on WWI U-boats, and I’m sorry if this is nothing but bogus(I don’t want to waste anyone’s time). But if it’s indeed true, could you please tell me which U-boats were the targets of C 4’s attacks?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boats vs HM Submarines Nom Anor 06/04/2012 02:07AM
Re: U-boats vs HM Submarines Oliver Lörscher 06/04/2012 06:42PM
Re: U-boats vs HM Submarines Nom Anor 06/05/2012 03:06AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.