WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Advice on identifying part of UB-116
Posted by: YellowAster ()
Date: June 01, 2014 10:42AM

Hi,

I have a small bit of UB-116 in my possession and have been trying to figure out what it might be. Unfortunately I don't see a way to post pictures on this forum. The article appears to be a cast half shell bearing, inner diameter 160 mm (to bearing faces), height 85mm. Would bolt to the other half of the bearing via two 15 mm bolts, two each side. Interior of half shell has two curved bearing faces (I hope I'm using the right terminology here). One end of the shell has a flange with small ~8 mm bolt holes and looks like it would take an O-ring. Other end has a bearing face. So, to my untrained eye, it looks like the bearing would enclose a rotating shaft of some sort, would be bolted at one end to some structure via flange and small bolts (sealed by O-ring) and would take (possibly) a rotating load on the other end. I'd like to think periscope, but I guess it could easily be part of the motor. A bit of a long-shot I know, but would anyone have any other suggestions ? I guess what I really need is the illustrated parts catalogue for that class of U-boat ...

thanks,

YA

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Advice on identifying part of UB-116 YellowAster 06/01/2014 10:42AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.