WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
SS Caithness U-Boat attack January 18, 1917
Posted by: Susan Anderson ()
Date: April 26, 2016 06:40PM

In 1995 I purchased a silver salver bearing the inscription "Presented by the Sutherland Steam Ship Co Ltd to Mr S Bailes, Second Engineer of the SS Caithness for the meritorious and patriotic service which resulted in the sinking of a German submarine off the French coast on January 18, 1917."

When I purchased the salver, my father a river pilot with an interest in the mercantile marine and the war in the Atlantic aided my research. We found information on the ship,shipyard and had correspondence with the grandson of the Caithness' captain. We also obtained an independant witness statement from the French sea going pilot on board at the time. With the centenary of the event approaching my interest has been renewed.

I have now found new information about Stanley Bailes and the Caithness including its sinking by U52 commanded by Hans Walther on 20 April 1917 with the loss of forty three crew including Stanley Bailes.

Sadly my efforts relating to the events of January 18 1917 in respect of the U Boat have failed to identify the U Boat and its commander. All I know of the incident is that the Caithness hit the conning tower on the U Boat with shells from its deck gun and the submarine sank slowly beneath the waves.

I have been on a merchant marine forum and been told that although the event took place there is no evidence that the submarine was sunk but instead.

Does anyone have any information on the action between the Caithness and an unidentified U-Boat on January 18, 1917.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
SS Caithness U-Boat attack January 18, 1917 Susan Anderson 04/26/2016 06:40PM
Re: SS Caithness U-Boat attack January 18, 1917 Oliver Lörscher 04/26/2016 07:46PM
Re: SS Caithness U-Boat attack January 18, 1917 Oliver Lörscher 04/26/2016 07:47PM
Re: SS Caithness U-Boat attack January 18, 1917 Susan Anderson 04/30/2016 09:47PM
Re: SS Caithness U-Boat attack January 18, 1917 Oliver Lörscher 05/01/2016 05:54PM
Re: SS Caithness U-Boat attack January 18, 1917 Susan Anderson 05/01/2016 08:42PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.