WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Little Mystery
Posted by: chrisheal ()
Date: May 20, 2016 09:40AM

Thank you very much, Phil, very helpful.

UC-61's commander writes that a (singular) 'explosive cartridge' was used. From other sinkings by the same man the practice for smaller vessels was to attach one or two bombs at the waterline on the side away from the submarine. The master of Little Mystery was on UC-61 at the time of the attachment, but he did say there was only one explosion. There was no sign of the ship breaking up on the surface - she took five minutes to go down, 'sinking stern first'.

The purpose to the question was only to use some speculation on the current state of the unfound wreck to finish off a story I am writing on Little Mystery. The charted position is 50,10,0N; 2,13,9W, but as Jan Lettens says on wrecksite.eu this could be one kilometer in any direction. It's possible that some of the coal cargo (all in the hold) could have spilled out of the hole in her side on the way down. The bottom here is about sixty meters with varieties of sand, shell, gravel, pebble and mud.

Thank you, particularly, for the story on the shipwrights of Little Mystery which I had not found. I would like to use the picture on page five which shows Little Gem's ribs as she was being built in the same yard (which is well shown) as Little Mystery - they were sister ships and 'Gem' was modelled to the inch on 'Mystery'.

Do you have contact with these authors so that I can get a fair picture copy and acknowledge copyright? Don't worry if not, I will track them down.

Best wishes
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Little Mystery chrisheal 05/17/2016 07:25AM
Re: Little Mystery phil morgan 05/18/2016 11:15AM
Re: Little Mystery chrisheal 05/20/2016 09:40AM
Re: Little Mystery phil morgan 05/20/2016 08:15PM
Re: Little Mystery chrisheal 05/25/2016 07:36AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.