WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: UC 61 found : Help with UC 61 POWs
Posted by: chrisheal ()
Date: September 20, 2016 02:15PM

Thanks Oliver

Yes, I had these three - first spotted in Spindler B4 - and I think that was the source for their inclusion in this very useful website. I got some more information on them from Freiburg (RM 86/18: RMA 10139) showing their various POW companies - hence my post to u-boat.net. Interestingly, the German admiralty has one more man on UC-61 at capture than appears in the French interrogation list.

Your suggested website was particularly useful with stoker Paul Schindler who died at Davos, Switzerland, exactly a year after capture - 26/7/1918. The site carries a link to pictures of Schindler's grave and memorial at Davos-Wolfgang plus his date of birth - so thank you for that. Schindler was also of particular interest in that he went from hospital in Brest to Davos as part of a Swiss experiment in POW exchange and hospitalisation (Lindsay, Samuel McCune, Swiss Commission in the United States, edited, Bulletin of Social Legislation on the Henry Bergh Foundation for the Promotion of Humane Education, No. 5, Swiss Internment of Prisoners of War, An Experiment in International Humane Legislation and Administration (Columbia University Press, New York 1917). I am hopeful that I will receive more on this case shortly from an archival historian in Davos.

Thank you again
Chris Heal

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
UC 61 found : Help with UC 61 POWs chrisheal 09/08/2016 10:22AM
Re: UC 61 found : Help with UC 61 POWs Oliver Lörscher 09/13/2016 12:00PM
Re: UC 61 found : Help with UC 61 POWs chrisheal 09/18/2016 08:23AM
Re: UC 61 found : Help with UC 61 POWs Oliver Lörscher 09/19/2016 05:32PM
Re: UC 61 found : Help with UC 61 POWs chrisheal 09/20/2016 02:15PM
Re: UC 61 found : Help with UC 61 POWs Oliver Lörscher 09/20/2016 04:57PM
U-boat French POW list found chrisheal 10/09/2016 05:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.