WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
The Bruges 'Great Programme'. U-boat pigeons. Zeebrugge canal.
Posted by: chrisheal ()
Date: October 06, 2016 08:20AM

Good morning

Two subjects from the KTBs of UB-12 and UC-61 where information would be appreciated.

Flotilla Commander Karl Bartenbach's operational orders to his u-boats most often contained a variant on 'F.T.' (radio telegramme / message) followed by 'Besonders achten auf grosses Programm von Brügge'. I'm guessing, may be missing the point entirely, that this is the radio broadcasting service to German vessels in the North Sea which had to be listened to carefully and regularly. If so, why the 'Great Programme'? Nothing noticed in Karau 'Naval Flank', Termote 'Krieg Unter Wasser', or Ryheul 'Marinekorps Flandern'.

Now, pigeons. I was surprised, at first, to read that UB-12 carried pigeons in order to communications with base. This presumably was normal u-boat practice? Does anyone have more information; I'm genuinely interested so any comment would be warmly welcomed? Humour usually gets me into trouble, especially in an international context: Must have been very dangerous for a pigeon (or three – what was the standard complement?) in a smelly, noisy, low-oxygen u-boat. Were they given a breath of fresh air when the boat surfaced? Which crew member was responsible for their welfare? Was there a Flanders Flotilla sergeant with a walrus moustache in charge of the home coop? What was his job title? How many brave pigeons died on u-boat service in WW1?

Finally, I am visiting Zeebrugge / Bruges next Monday to see what I can of the canal used by the U-boats to get to sea - to get a picture in my mind, so to speak. Also, I want to see the Zeebrugge memorial - my great uncle was in the RMLI and landed on the mole from HMS Vindictive for the fight. Any tips?

Who knows? Some of the local pigeons may have distinguished parentage?

Thank you
Chris Heal

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The Bruges 'Great Programme'. U-boat pigeons. Zeebrugge canal. chrisheal 10/06/2016 08:20AM
Re: The Bruges 'Great Programme'. U-boat pigeons. Zeebrugge canal. chrisheal 10/07/2016 08:49AM
Re: The Bruges 'Great Programme'. U-boat pigeons. Zeebrugge canal. freddy01 10/07/2016 10:26AM
Re: The Bruges 'Great Programme'. U-boat pigeons. Zeebrugge canal. chrisheal 10/09/2016 04:39PM
Re: The Bruges 'Great Programme'. U-boat pigeons. Zeebrugge canal. Forum Moderator 10/09/2016 09:07PM
Re: The Bruges 'Great Programme'. U-boat pigeons. Zeebrugge canal. chrisheal 10/09/2016 10:15PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.