WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
U-53 and Hans Rose
Posted by: ClintJohnson ()
Date: November 04, 2016 08:20PM

I am writing a book about the history of destroyers through WW I and WW II (coming in the fall of 2018 from Regnery History in Washington, D.C.)

One chapter will describe how U-53 under Hans Rose entered the Newport, Rhode Island harbor in Oct. 1916 when the U.S. was still neutral. He asked that a letter be delivered to Ambassador Bernstorff in D.C. The next day the U-53 sank several British ships off Nantucket while surrounded by 17 different U.S. destroyers that could only watch.

A little over a year later the U-53 sank the USS Jacob Jones off the southern coast of England.

My questions: Does anyone know where to get a copy of that letter and an English translation? Did U-53 stumble onto the Jacob Jones, or had Rose stalked him for some time? Does anyone have a copy of his accounts of these two incidents (translated into English). One other question, Rose also radioed the position of the sinking destroyer back to its base in Ireland. Does anyone know exactly how he worded that message? (The Jones' radio shack had been destroyed by the torpedo).

Thanks for any help you can offer. This is my first visit to the UBoat.net message board.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-53 and Hans Rose ClintJohnson 11/04/2016 08:20PM
Re: U-53 and Hans Rose Michael Lowrey 11/04/2016 10:18PM
Re: U-53 and Hans Rose ClintJohnson 11/08/2016 11:36AM
Re: U-53 and Hans Rose Michael Lowrey 11/08/2016 12:52PM
Re: U-53 and Hans Rose ClintJohnson 11/11/2016 07:25PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.