WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Light relief and sheep
Posted by: chrisheal ()
Date: March 27, 2017 05:20PM

Hello everyone

I know humour is a dangerous matter on an international website, but it has been a long day.

I've just been reading Johannes Spiess, Six Ans de Croisières en Sous-marin (Payot, Paris 1927). On pages 220-3, Spiess tells the story, abridged, of landing in 1918 on the remote uninhabited Scottish island of North Rona and using its high ground to look for signs of enemy shipping:

>>I looked for a suitable landing place amidst the sheer cliffs and ordered the little rowing boat to be put into the sea and sent the officer of the watch with three crewmen (one of whom was the cook) ashore, armed with guns and orders to do their best. The crew rowed with enthusiasm. They were spotted a little later climbing to the summit. They then looked for birds’ eggs, without success, so went off to shoot sheep. Four were shot and hauled down to the boat; only two would fit in so they floated the other two behind. A number of seals and walruses appeared, attracted by the possibility of seizing some of the booty and they weren’t frightened off by pistol shots.<<

Wikipedia repeats the story, but for Kapitänleutnant Walter Remy, U 90, who claimed to stop at the island during each of his patrols.

So, Question 1, not so frivolous: Could North Rona be the only part of the British Isles held by Germany, albeit only for an hour or so, during the Great War? Perhaps there are similar u-boat stories elsewhere?

And Question 2, definitely frivolous: With all the U-boats stopping for food at North Rona, might it have been simpler just to set up a pub. If so, a good name is needed. Suggestions so far include (warning: English play on words):

Mine Host, The Gondive Inn, Last Orders, Ewe Turn, As U Like it, World's End, King William II, Up Periscope, The Friendly Torpedo, The Mine and Lettuce, Down the Hatch, The Ronarc'h & Bacon, Bar Ten, Bach (Flanders u-boat flotilla, Welsh section, joke). Offers?

Best wishes
Chris Heal

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Light relief and sheep chrisheal 03/27/2017 05:20PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.