WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Erprobungsstelle
Posted by: chrisheal ()
Date: April 02, 2017 02:54PM

Hello

I'm tracking the career in 1916-7 of Kapitänleutnant Erich Gerth, b 25 April 1886, who went on to command UC 53 in the Mediterranean.

Gerth was appointed Leiter [Director, Supervisor?] der E. Stelle in Libau from 5 February 1916 to 29 June 1917. I understand that E. Stelle could well be 'Erprobungsstelle', a military test centre? One of the notes on one of Gerth's records suggests the centre may have dealt with trials on marine aircraft. I see that the German Marine Air Forces in the Baltic during 1917 consisted of, initially, Sea Flying Stations at Libau, Windau and Angernsee. Gerth had no aviation knowledge that I can find and, apart from his intelligence work, had mostly big ship experience.

Gerth, who did have a tendency for embellishment, wrote in 1922 that the admiralty staff ‘made use of the experience which I gained in the aforesaid activities in [South] America [setting up spy networks and marine supply stations] and deployed me until the Russian collapse for a special mission in Courland'. The timing of Gerth's departure from Libau is a bit early for the Russian military collapse I think, but perhaps I'm just being picky.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
Chris Heal

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Erprobungsstelle chrisheal 04/02/2017 02:54PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.