WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
VILLE DE VERDUN
Posted by: Martin Quigley ()
Date: April 13, 2017 10:59PM

Hi All,

I have been on the forum before and gained some very valuable information concerning ships my father served on in WW1 which were subjected to submarine atack. I had a very interesting discussion with Oliver and Simon on the sinking of SS KILDALE, which incidentally was exactly 100 years ago yesterday!

I believe my father, Thomas Quigley, born Londonderry 1892, was also on the SS VILLE DE VERDUN which was sunk by U34 off the east coast of Spain on 6th February 1918. The ship was built in Derry in late 1917 and its maiden voyage was Derry-Dakar-Gibraltar-Marseille. It of course never reached the French port. I understand there may have been some suggestion the vessel was sunk in Spanish territorial waters?

I have been able to obtain with relative ease crew lists for most of the British registered ships he served on from either the National Archives in London or the Newfoundland archives. However as VILLE DE VERDUN was French registered I am at a loss as to how I might obtain verification that he was a crew member.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could inform me if there are in existence crew lists available for French registered merchant ships and if so where copies could be found.

Would also welcome any further information anyone would have on this particular sinking.

Thank you,
Kind regards,

Martin Quigley

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
VILLE DE VERDUN Martin Quigley 04/13/2017 10:59PM
Re: VILLE DE VERDUN Michael Lowrey 04/14/2017 01:18AM
Re: VILLE DE VERDUN Martin Quigley 04/15/2017 02:57PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.