General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: personnel records
Posted by: Chris Springer ()
Date: January 05, 2010 08:02AM

G'day, I am aiding a friend in researching her Great grandfather who was a sailor in the U-boat service. Her Grandmother (Marta who is the daughter of this man) is also interested in this project. Unfortunately, the daughter was quite small at the time and basically has fond memories which a little girl has for someone she remembers as a really nice Daddy.

This is what I have to go on:

Name: Konrad Weißmann
Born: 22 May 1906
Place of Birth: Fürth, Bayern (bei Nüremburg / Nürnburg) Mittelfranken
Religion: as listed on Birth Certificate "Evangelisch"
Name of father: Eberhard Weißmann
Name of mother: Barabara Weißmann (Maiden Name: “Back”)
Name of brother: Walter Weißmann (Note: Reportedly was in an Arizona POW camp)
Name of wife: Pauline Weißmann (Maiden Name: “Werner”)
Name of children:
1. Son: Paul Weißmann (Note: Paul has passed away)
2. Daughter: Marta (Maiden Name: “Weißmann”)

We have a photo of him in uniform. The rank looks like "Marineartilleriegefreiter". However, apparently, there is the possibility of the same insignia in different colours to denote Anti-Aircraft gunner. Because the photo is black & white, I can't be certain of the exact title other than "Marinegefreiter" (at least as of the time of the photograph).

He sent a picture postcard of La Rochelle, France (I could see no date on this).

He was captured as a result of the Normandy invasion. He spent time as a POW in France. He was not well treated by the French, became ill, & died of his illness 2 years after his release.

He was captured on land. I am told that he was on guard in a cave or bunker prior to capture.

We have his discharge papers from the allied forces. We do know that he had been a Merchant Marine sometime before the war. We aren't certain if he was a Merchant Marine during the war prior to his service in the Kriegsmarine or not. His occupation, as listed on the discharge papers was "Hilfsarbeiter". Home address "Schindelgasse 7, Fürth, Mittelfranken, Kreis DTO". There are sums of money listed which looks like he may have received a total sum of 182 Reichsmarks. The one sum of money which was clear how much and what for was "RM 40,00 Entlasungsgeld". The Medical portion reads "Haare: Dunkelblond Augen: Blau Disability with description: TBC! PUL WITH PNEUMOTHORAX - LEFT. INTESTIN - TBC. CAN NOT WORK. Name & Rank of Medical Officer: DR. VOGL/OBERSTABSARTZT" Date of discharge was 26 March 1946. Allied discharging officer was "A.H. Noyes, Capt. M.C."

His death certificate has the time of death at 04:20 on 19 March 1948 in Fürth.

I am assuming that Konrad was a part of the forces which held out until the surrender of the German forces which had been cut off resultant of the Normandy invasion.

The family feels that he was part of a U-boat crew. If that is the case, I do not know why he was captured on land. Perhaps his boat was unable to get underway? So, I have been researching U-boats captured/scuttled at U-boat pens as a result of the Normandy invasion, but I haven't had any definite luck. I don't find his name in the available database at U-boat websites. I don't have his service number/crew number. I don't know when he joined the Kriegsmarine (could have been anytime after the war started and before the Normandy invasion, but probably not immediately after the war started. I give odds that it was later in the war rather than earlier.).

Of the family members now living in the United States, we have apparently exhausted our sources of hard data facts. There are relatives living still in Fürth, but it is difficult to get much information out of them at the moment.

I am feel that it may be time to reach out to sources in Germany such as the Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt), Eichborndamm 179, 13403 Berlin or the Deutsches U-Boot Museum-Archiv, Haus 2, Lange Strasse 1, D-27478 Cuxhaven - Altenbruch. I regret that I don't know a U-boat hull number nor his crew/service number.

We would like to find out as much as possible about Konrad and his life. Has anyone any useful advice for us?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
personnel records jim zeiher 06/28/2003 01:38AM
Re: personnel records Ken Dunn 06/28/2003 11:38AM
Re: personnel records.. Ken Dunn cowboy 07/03/2003 11:36PM
Re: personnel records.. Ken Dunn Ken Dunn 07/04/2003 12:50AM
Re: personnel records.. Ken Dunn Rune Dyrholm 04/27/2009 03:42PM
Re: personnel records Thomen 04/27/2009 06:27PM
Re: personnel records Chris Springer 01/05/2010 08:02AM
Re: personnel records Eric Stone 01/07/2010 11:01PM
Re: personnel records bob Gramberg 08/09/2014 10:05PM
Re: personnel records barinasboy 08/10/2014 02:18PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.