General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
German midget sub sunk in Florida waters.
Posted by: Bill Akins ()
Date: February 24, 2005 05:11AM

I am a diver who lives near Tampa, Florida U.S.A.
It has come to my attention that in 1945 the coast guard
took a captured two man german midget sub out just one mile east of one of our islands here and sunk it for gunnery practise. My dive buddy has a book that tells of this. In addition I spoke with some diver acquaintances of mine about a year ago who told me they were diving this sub and our coast guard came to their boat and ran them off telling them there were military exercises in the area. There were no ships, boats, or military exercises going on though.
I have heard that U166 is the only german sub sunk in the gulf of mexico but this midget sub would make that two.
I plan to find out more about the sub and will try to dive on it and hope I don't get ran away also! Since the sub is in Florida waters the state would have jurisdiction over it and not the coast guard but it is hard to argue with men with guns when they tell you to leave.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
German midget sub sunk in Florida waters. Bill Akins 02/24/2005 05:11AM
Re: German midget sub sunk in Florida waters. Anthony Reynolds 10/30/2014 07:20PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.