General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Colored U-Boot-pictures
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: March 07, 2001 11:26PM

<HTML>Hi Rainer,

You have a hell of a sharp eye. After finding out from your post that the photos were of U-177 I checked my U-boat books for U-177 photos and sure enough, I found two of the color pictures in “U-Boats – A Pictorial History” by Edwin P. Hoyt, however, they are reversed (flipped horizontally) and in black and white.

According to Hoyt, the sinking ship in the color picture is the SS Alice F. Palmer and the photo was taken July 10, 1943 in the South Atlantic. She was sunk by U-177. All hands survived although some of them spent 20 days at sea in a lifeboat.

I can now also recognize Captain Robert Gysae in one of the color pictures based on his picture in Hoyt’s book.

U-177 was at sea for 6 months and was re-supplied by Milk Cows and German surface raiders. The supplies being transferred in the color pictures probably came from one of these instead of the SS Alice F. Palmer.

U-177 didn’t have a conning tower emblem at the time. Later, she had a cane (not a picture of a cane) with score rings secured to the conning tower.

Sources:
“U-Boats – A Pictorial History” by Edwin P. Hoyt. ISBN 0-07-030620-6.

“U-Boat Emblems of World War II 1939 – 1945” by Georg Hogel. ISBN 0-76430-724-X.

“A Careless Word… a Needless Sinking…” by Captain Arthur R. Moore. Library of Congress 82-73552. Published by the American Merchant Marine Museum at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point NY.

“Axis Submarine Successes of World War Two”: German, Italian, and Japanese Submarine Successes, 1939-1945 by Jurgen Rohwer. ISBN: 1-55750-029-0.

Regards,

Ken Dunn
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Colored U-Boot-pictures Andreas 03/06/2001 02:19PM
RE: Colored U-Boot-pictures Ken Dunn 03/07/2001 09:28PM
RE: Colored U-Boot-pictures Rainer Bruns 03/07/2001 10:12PM
RE: Colored U-Boot-pictures Ken Dunn 03/07/2001 11:26PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.