General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Sunken U-boat of PEI, Canada?
Posted by: Paul Lawton ()
Date: December 07, 2005 11:28PM

Hi Rodney,
A journalist named Mary MacKay wrote about my research on Operation Elster in the Prince Edward Island provincial newspaper soon after my search off North Cape, PEI. The story was entitled "A Tale of Two Subs" and can be found if you Google search "Operation Elster." The coincidence regarding the local Tignish accounts of the daytime anti-submarine attacks just off shore did not coincide with the time of the filming of the movie. Furthermore, the accounts were specific in their date of May 7, 1943. I do not necessarily believe that the U-376 lies off North Cape, but the alleged anti-submarine operatons were possibly based upon earlier sightings of the U-262 in the vicinity, and RCN ASW ops based upon the knowledge of her earlier presence. By the way, Volkmar "King" Koenig (Midshipman U-99 under Korvettenkapitan Otto Kretschmer) has not been well recently. The last I heard about two weeks ago was that he had suffered a stroke. Please keep "King" in your prayers. He is a great man of history with an incredible story!
I hope all is well, and merry Christmas!
Paul Lawton, Naval Historian

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Sunken U-boat of PEI, Canada? Christoph Kretzschmar 12/05/2005 09:51PM
Re: Sunken U-boat of PEI, Canada? W Richthofen 12/06/2005 03:59PM
Re: Sunken U-boat of PEI, Canada? Rodney Martin 12/07/2005 04:27PM
Re: Sunken U-boat of PEI, Canada? Christoph Kretzschmar 12/07/2005 10:07PM
Re: Sunken U-boat of PEI, Canada? Paul Lawton 12/07/2005 11:28PM
Re: Sunken U-boat of PEI, Canada? Rodney Martin 12/08/2005 04:26PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.