General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Okay, let\\\'s settle this matter once and for
Posted by: Fin Bonset ()
Date: March 08, 2001 01:06PM

<HTML>Hi Frank and everyone,

I have to add some more cents to this :-)

Ok there are two things I would like to address here. One: Frank, I totally respect your posting and opinion, however, is there proof of such looting by American soldiers in the Gulf War? As true as it may be, I have to think that this was not the case in the gulf war. I may be wrong, but I really don\'t think that happened. Perhaps on the Iraqi side it did as that is matter surroundings and beliefs.

I back this up by my second point by trying to explain why people loot in the first place. In my opinion, and I stress the \"my opinion\" part, a lot of looting went on in the second world war and Vietnam because of two things: the Draft and the immense atrocities committed during battles. When a draft occurs, all types of people join the army. This includes many people from lower ranks of society as well. It is these people that are used to a difficult life in their own country and keep those values of theft, and disregard for others. I am not saying that they didn\'t fight gallantly or did their job, it is just a fact. In addition, more atrocities went on during those two wars because they were more savage than anything ever experienced. That causes certain people to have even more disregard for other human lives. This in turn leads to disrespecting the dead and taking their belongings.

Now, back to the Gulf War. As the Gulf War was not a draft war, most everyone was a volunteer or chose to do service. There are mandatory drafts for some European countries, but they are very selective about their personnel. This leads to a more professional organization of more professional men. The atrocities were less than any war as there were only few casualties on the American/Allied side and most of the damage was inflcted by air forces. There were substantial Iraqi losses, but there was minimal ground fighting anyway. So, that really minimizes looting with the sole intent of doing so. I\'m sure those things must have been controlled somehow.

Anyway, I just want to go on record here that none of this is meant to be an offense to any soldiers in any war as I have never experienced such a matter. I have a great deal of respect for any man willing to put his life on the line for his/her country and beliefs. So this is purely an opinion based on historical facts and my reading of many related books and first-hand accounts.

Frank, I would love to here a counter argument as I think we can all learn from this. I\'m not saying I\'m right here, but I\'m just trying to contemplate this logically. How does this relate to u-boats? Well, many people have no respect for history and those who fought and gave their lives in unstable times. This is exactly what causes people to become grave robbers, plain and simple, no respect.

Anyway, thanks for letting me put in my two cents.

Best wishes to all,

Fin </HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Okay, let\'s settle this matter once and for all Frank Blazich 03/07/2001 02:55PM
RE: Okay, let\\\'s settle this matter once and for Rainer Bruns 03/07/2001 03:37PM
RE: Okay, let\\\\\\\'s settle this matter once and Tom Iwanski 03/07/2001 05:45PM
RE: Okay, let\\\'s settle this matter once and for Steve 03/07/2001 03:46PM
Semper Fi, Dude! Karl D. 03/07/2001 04:24PM
RE: Semper Fi, Dude! steve 03/07/2001 05:05PM
RE: Semper Fi, Dude! Karl D. 03/08/2001 04:59PM
RE: Semper Fi, Dude! Rainer Bruns 03/08/2001 06:33PM
RE: Okay, let\\\\\\\'s settle this matter once and Frank Blazich 03/07/2001 06:53PM
RE: Okay, let\\\'s settle this matter once and for Yuri IL\'IN 03/07/2001 04:39PM
RE: Okay, let\\\\\\\'s settle this matter once and John Griffiths 03/07/2001 05:25PM
RE: What has this got to do with U-boats? Kurt 03/07/2001 11:38PM
My two cents... Ben B. 03/08/2001 05:59AM
U 508 Don 03/08/2001 05:55AM
RE: U 508 Anders Wingren 03/08/2001 06:44PM
U 508 Don 03/08/2001 05:57AM
RE: Okay, let\\\'s settle this matter once and for Fin Bonset 03/08/2001 01:06PM
RE: Okay, let\\\\\\\'s settle this matter once and Steve 03/08/2001 02:17PM
RE: Okay, let\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s settle this matter Fin Bonset 03/08/2001 06:49PM
RE: Okay Yuri IL\'IN 03/09/2001 01:15AM
RE: Okay, let\\\\\\\'s settle this matter once and John Griffiths 03/08/2001 06:26PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.