General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Psychology in the Atlantic.
Posted by: John Griffiths ()
Date: March 13, 2001 04:08PM

<HTML> Aha....!

Don Baker wrote:
-------------------------------
\"Psychology, I believe. Beat thine enemy - earn his respect.
It\\\'s my theory! \\\"

An interesting treatise on Celtic history and an interesting personal theory indeed John - and do your studies indicate it may have been applied in the Battle of the Atlantic?<<

My studies, Don, were absolutely nothing to do with either Celtic history or the Battle of The Atlantic! I am an ex-sailor ( served in both Royal and Merchant Navies ), a Welshman - hence the passion for the Romano-Celtic bit - and, as a qualified Social worker, Psychology was one of my subjects - both at core and chosen levels!

The \'Beat thine enemy - earn his respect\' school of thought is applicable. Hitler wanted to bring Britain to its knees, to force her into surrendering. That way was by sinking the vital shipping that kept Britain an island fortress. By cutting that link, he felt he could soon have the British where he wanted them - at the negotiating table.

Unfortunately he reckoned without the \'reverse\' psychology that applied at that time - and, I guess, still does. We have an arrogance, us Brits, that makes us bloody fighters when backed into a corner. Witness the Falklands War - we sent a fleet down the south Atlantic and gave the invading Argentinians something to think about! It\'s also called the island mentality.

During the Battle of The Atlantic, Hitler reckoned without the courage and tenacity of all of the seamen involved, without the \'pride\' and \'tradition\' of the Royal Navy - and without the sheer drive of Winston Churchill, who - more than anyone - brought together the British to fight what he knew to be the greatest threat to these islands since the Spanish Armada. The U-boat crews and Commanders were exceptional seamen and courageous fighters - but, towards the end, they were led by a madman whose idea of Naval superiority did not match that of either Raeder or Doenitz. had either of those been Fuhrer, we may have been looking at a different outcome!

A national conciousness - that state which made Britain hang in - could also be said to have been a \'national psychological\' state of being. By using words and skilled oratory, Winston Churchill touched the hearts and minds of everyone in these islands and made them stand as one. Russia had a similar conciousness. Still has, but in pockets nowadays.

Hitler - a charisamatic man himself - had the same skill, but did not apply it as calculatingly as Churchill did. We fought the Germans; Hitler wanted the total erasure of Jews, Gypsies, the sick and disabled,etc. The conquest of Europe and the smashing of Soviet Russia. An Aryan State with Aryan ideals. Too much in fighting and clinging to \'traditions\', to a blinkered mind set...etc.

A tall order actually - and one that did not appeal or massage the national ego on a total scale. That Churchill did says a lot about his careful use of language, his posture, his stature and his ideals.

Psychology!

So, was it applied in the Battle of The Atlantic? I\'d hazard a guess and say yes. It was - by both sides. Fortunately, ours was based on national survival - not national expansionism.

Hope this does, Don!

Aye,

John</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality. Fin Bonset 03/12/2001 06:00PM
RE: Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality. tony 03/12/2001 06:55PM
RE: Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality. Visje 03/12/2001 07:24PM
RE: Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality. John Griffiths 03/12/2001 08:05PM
RE: Psychology in the Atlantic. Don Baker 03/12/2001 11:54PM
RE: Psychology in the Atlantic. John Griffiths 03/13/2001 04:08PM
RE: Psychology in the Atlantic. Robert Eno 03/13/2001 05:14PM
RE: Psychology in the Atlantic. Don Baker 03/13/2001 05:19PM
RE: Psychology in the Atlantic. Robert Eno 03/13/2001 05:23PM
RE: Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality. Robert Eno 03/13/2001 04:57PM
RE: Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality. John Griffiths 03/13/2001 05:29PM
RE: Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality. tony 03/13/2001 06:58PM
RE: Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality - Tony! John Griffiths 03/13/2001 08:19PM
RE: Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality - Tony! Fin Bonset 03/14/2001 12:27PM
RE: Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality. Fin Bonset 03/14/2001 12:24PM
RE: mores in War kurt 03/13/2001 02:08AM
RE: Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality. Yves D 03/13/2001 06:10AM
RE: Brutality/Atrocity Theory/Reality. Yuri IL\'IN 03/13/2001 06:20AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.