General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U-Boat wrecks Near South African Coast
Posted by: Peter ()
Date: December 12, 2006 09:33PM

Hi Anton

I have done loads of research on boats operating in/around SA and can say without a doubt these are myths. Sorry! My research started out chasing myths and I uncovered loads of these. The reality is that as with any coast that u-boats operated off, large amounts of rumours circulate. I have a vast collection of these and ALL proved to be stories - some of them, good ones at that! An example: St Francis Bay in South Africa would have made a wonderful hideaway for a u-boat prior to Oct 42. A house exists on the shores of the bay called "Seeheim". The rumour was that it was built by a u-boat captain who had anchored in the bay to give his crew rest and allow them ashore. If he survived the war, he would return and build a house on this once secluded shore - he returned and built the house. Problem 1: After checking with the locals, I found that the house never belonged to a U-boat captain. Problem 2: No u-boats operated near the SA coast prior to Oct 42.After this, no u-boat would attempt to land sailors ashore or stay surfaced for any long periods near the coast. New modern aircraft (Venturas) arrived and training flights were held over the ocean from bases along the coast. These patrols were known as "scarcrows".
There are many such stories and all u-boat patrols off or near SA have all been documented.When chasing down these myths, I desperately wanted them to be true but .... If you discover anything new, I will gladly eat humble pie! All the best.
Peter

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boat wrecks Near South African Coast Anton Peters 12/04/2006 02:41PM
Re: U-Boat wrecks Near South African Coast Eric S 12/04/2006 05:11PM
Re: U-Boat wrecks Near South African Coast Peter 12/10/2006 05:27PM
Re: U-Boat wrecks Near South African Coast Anton 12/10/2006 07:37PM
Re: U-Boat wrecks Near South African Coast Peter 12/12/2006 09:33PM
Re: U-Boat wrecks Near South African Coast Dawn 01/30/2015 07:15PM
Re: U-Boat wrecks Near South African Coast paul tjader 02/05/2015 02:50PM
info SIXTANT 12/05/2006 01:32AM
Re: info Ken Deshaies 12/06/2006 09:59AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.