General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Binoculars/books
Posted by: chris lee ()
Date: April 02, 2001 11:48PM

<HTML>Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can get details regarding the type and magnification of Binoculars used on U.Boats? There seems to be quite a few manufacturers other than Zeiss. I have a pair of Zeiss 8x40 s which allegedly came from a surrended U.Boat from the South Coast of England. They were the former property of a sublt in the Navy and had been his property for many years before coming into a small auction.( I paid AUS $35 for them) I must say they are superb optics, even if they are old! they have a seriel number and \"Carl Zeiss Jena\" and \"delictur\" or something similar on the casings. Also on this subject I have a pair of larger magnification Russian binoculars bought by my late father in the sixties. These are identical to the ones in numerous photos of watch officers I have seen, and I understand that the Soviets did in fact take over the Jena factory at the end of the war. Is it possible I wonder that these are the same binocular as used by the Kriegsmarine, but simply stamped in Russian and made under Soviet Rule? They appear to be so. Also I recall my father having little filters that pressed over the eye piece. These were dark green and dark orange and were I think used for different light conditions. Did the watch in U.Boats not have similar green and red goggles for the same purpose?</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Binoculars/books chris lee 04/02/2001 11:48PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.