General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Japanees subs i europe
Posted by: Andrew Mair ()
Date: April 19, 2001 06:29PM

<HTML>Hi Viking,
A very interesting subject and one of the best places to find information on this is in Boyd and Yoshida\'s book \'The Japanese Submarine Force and World War Two\'. Here is some of the information regarding your question which I found in this book.
The I-30 was the first Japanese boat to Europe, arriving at Lorient in August 1942, and leaving later that month with a cargo which included German technical equipment for the Japanese Armed Forces. She reached Penang, Malaya, safely, but en-route to Singapore was lost to a mine with much of the cargo.
The I-8 made a successful round trip leaving Penang on July 1943 and arriving at Brest in September. She sailed from France on 5th October with military machinery, German officers, technicians and civilian advisers, arriving at Singapore on 21st December.
The I-34 was lost to a British submarine in the Straits of Malacca on 13th November two days after leaving Singapore.
The I-29 left Singapore on 16th December 1943 carrying Japanese scientists, engineers and raw materials, arriving at Lorient on 10th March 1944. She left France on 16th April arriving at Singapore on 14th July. Ultra decrypts had alerted the Americans to the cargo the I-29 was carrying onwards to Japan - which consisted of radar and rocket-launching apparatus - and on the journey home the I-29 was sunk by the USS \'Sawfish\'.
The final submarine to make for Europe was the I-52 which left Singapore on 23rd April 1944 and was sunk off the Azores in June by aircraft from the carrier USS \'Bogue\'.
In his book \'U-Boats\', David Miller writes that surface blockade running between the two allies was stopped on Hitler\'s orders in January 1944.
Page 133 of Boyd and Yoshida\'s book states that \'\'submarines were the sole means of transporting goods and personnel between Japan and Germany in the closing days of this war of grand attrition.\'\'
Hope this has been of help.
Regards,
Andrew</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Japanees subs i europe Viking 04/19/2001 04:50PM
RE: Japanees subs i europe Andrew Mair 04/19/2001 06:29PM
RE: Japanees subs i europe Rich Mickle 04/21/2001 02:13PM
RE: Japanees subs i europe Andrew Mair 04/22/2001 08:29AM
RE: Japanees subs i europe Rich Mickle 04/22/2001 06:02PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.