General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Japanees subs i europe
Posted by: Rich Mickle ()
Date: April 21, 2001 02:13PM

<HTML>Hi Andrew,

Did I-52 not make it to Europe? I was under the impression she at least met
a German boat or ship sometime before being sunk, if not making it to Europe. Not sure though. This is the one that was carrying a large amount of gold I\'ve heard.

This is an interesting topic. Voyages between Europe and the Far East took
place throughout the war, though only later did submarines get involved.
A number of Italian submarines went to the Far East before Italy surrendered as well, mainly as cargo boats to get supplied the Italians were desperate for. I don\'t believe any returned before the Italian surrender. Most were taken over by the Germans and a hodge-podge mixture of German and Italian crews serving the boats.

Viking, in anwer to the question about communication, this was certainly not the only way of communicating, most certainly it was probably the slowest way they had. A lot of communication was actually through neutral countries and Axis embassies therein. The Japanese could communicated with the Germans through their embassy in the USSR, but they preferred no to do this fearing some info could be used against Germany or at least passed on to the British by the Soviets. The Soviets however, were not successful in cracking this diplomatic code of the Japanese and it is not clear that they tried very hard either.

Hope this helps.

Rich
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Japanees subs i europe Viking 04/19/2001 04:50PM
RE: Japanees subs i europe Andrew Mair 04/19/2001 06:29PM
RE: Japanees subs i europe Rich Mickle 04/21/2001 02:13PM
RE: Japanees subs i europe Andrew Mair 04/22/2001 08:29AM
RE: Japanees subs i europe Rich Mickle 04/22/2001 06:02PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.