General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: U-97
Posted by: Marc Haldimann ()
Date: April 28, 2001 05:30PM

<HTML>Dear Axel,

Thanks for straightening out the record for U-97. This was for me an irritating problem as the uniforms worn by the men on the picture were impossible for Haifa in June...

Being an archeologist, I\'m just used to track the nagging flaws until something strait comes more or less out. For Koop\'s book, you\'re all too right. I also suspect that the quality of reproduction was upset on some occasions purposefully to make the same pic look different enough for showing the sinking of two U-boats.
Besides the pages you gave, I\'ve also noticed the following ones:

P. 44 middle right is the same as 75 above (the shadow shows the belly of an Avenger, and obviously not of a Sunderland...) P. 45 is a blow-up of p. 81 above.
One of the worst abuses is 91 above which is the negative of 90 below...
For the \"unknown\" U-boats section, it seems from my sources that 134 above is U-35 and 137 above is U-758.

I\'m expecting the next week your book in order to be more efficient in those matters as I undertook a serie trying to match the published accounts of some U-boat sinking with the sometimes impressive number of pictures taken by the attacking plane crews. I went through U-185 which should be posted on Uboat.net in a near future and I\'m battling now with U-172 which is a tougher case, the discrepancies between German and US accounts being sometimes really huge.

Thanks again for sheading your light on this case

Regards

Marc

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-97 Marc Haldimann 04/26/2001 12:36PM
RE: U-97 Torlef 04/27/2001 04:45AM
RE: U-97 Marc Haldimann 04/27/2001 05:11AM
RE: U-97\'s fate Joe Brennan 04/28/2001 05:37AM
RE: U-97\\\'s fate Marc Haldimann 04/28/2001 10:59AM
RE: U-97 Axel 04/28/2001 04:41PM
RE: U-97 Marc Haldimann 04/28/2001 05:30PM
RE: U-97 Marc Haldimann 04/28/2001 06:18PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.