General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Kriegsmarine Uniform And Beer Belly
Posted by: Ying ()
Date: April 28, 2001 08:32AM

<HTML>Hi Kameraden,

I¡¯d like to know how many uniforms altogether are there for a Kriegsmarine officer? I know from the visit of Jeanne d¡¯Arc that French naval officers have to pay for their own uniforms (and find tailors to make their uniforms) and that the complete range costs about FF 25,000. Thus I wonder how much does the whole range of the Kriegsmarine uniform cost and did the officers pay for it or the uniforms were issued to them?

I also learned from www.photosammler.de (thank you me109g for this one, it\'s a real nice site) that there were also white summer uniforms for the Kriegsmarine (uboat.net mainly introduces the blue ones), but ¡°the wearing of the white summer uniforms was forbidden by order in 1939 with the outbreak of the war¡±, and later, it was ¡°allowed again by order in 1944¡±. I¡¯m really curious as to know why officers were not allowed to wear the white uniform when the war broke out? Is it a common practice for war (did it also happen in WWI?) or there were some other reasons for it? And why it was allowed again in 1944?

Also I¡¯d like to know how Kriegsmarine uniforms were sized, they also used S, M, L, etc.?

An intetesting derivative question is: why officers of that time generally didn¡¯t have beer bellies while those of today tend to have? I don¡¯t think there¡¯s considerable difference in the amount of beer they drink. Actung, I do not intend to start another beer thread with this question. :) One thing that impressed me when I read Speer¡¯s ¡°Spandau: The Secret Diary¡± is that: before Doenitz was released, his family had his previous tailor make him some new civilian clothes according to the size kept by the tailor (a real loyal one) and the clothes fit him well. Trying on the clothes, Doenitz remarked: ¡°We military men never lose our waistline.¡± However, it doesn¡¯t seem to be true today. :)

I know there¡¯re some uniform experts on this forum, so I do expect to get some definitive replies. :)

Best regards,
Ying

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Kriegsmarine Uniform And Beer Belly Ying 04/28/2001 08:32AM
RE: Kriegsmarine Uniform And Beer Belly Simon 04/28/2001 09:52AM
RE: Kriegsmarine Uniform And Beer Belly kpp 04/28/2001 11:46AM
RE: Kriegsmarine Uniform And Beer Belly Ying 04/29/2001 10:43AM
RE: Kriegsmarine Uniform And Beer Belly joe brandt 04/30/2001 01:05AM
RE: Kriegsmarine Uniform And Beer Belly kpp 04/30/2001 03:58PM
RE: Kriegsmarine Uniform And Beer Belly John R. 04/30/2001 04:04PM
RE: Kriegsmarine Uniform And Beer Belly joe brandt 04/30/2001 07:35PM
Any Pictures? Ying 05/01/2001 12:22PM
Pic Of The White Uniform Ying 05/01/2001 02:02PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.