General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Black Sea Operations
Posted by: Tom Iwanski ()
Date: May 02, 2001 03:50PM

<HTML>Hi all,

I was recently reading some information about the unique properties of the Black Sea. As I understand it, it used to be a fresh water lake and melting glaciers from the late ice age raised the sea level of the Med, which eventually poured into the Black Sea. This, along with no natural temperature inversion, created an anoxic layer of water that started at approximately 600 ft. This layer has a kind of a bulge that causes it to temporarily rise as high as 100 ft. in certain areas. The anoxic layer is heavy with hydrogen sulfide which is highly corrosive. (it also kills all marine life)

I was wondering if anyone knew of any reference to this corrosive layer in any u-boat records. I know their operations in the Black Sea were fairly small compared to the Atlantic, but I nonethelss wondered if corrosion became a problem for u-boats in that theater. If not the u-boats, did any of the cold war Soviet subs that prowled at much greater depths off the coast of Turkey run into any operational problems with corrosion?

Thanks for your input,

Tom </HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Black Sea Operations Tom Iwanski 05/02/2001 03:50PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.