General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: pass me the periscope
Posted by: John Griffiths ()
Date: May 10, 2001 04:54PM

<HTML> Vin and Chris - and other Antiodean Underwater Enthusiasts,

>>It sounds an interesting concept ,although really its more re-enactment than living history. Netherless, I would love the opportunity to don my leather jacket and battered captains hat, and play Erich Topp. No doubt the politically correct element would love to have the chance to yell \\\"Nazis\\\" at anyone who participated.<<

Well, yeah! I also want to don the leather coat and hat and be Number One - no aspirations to make it to Old Man! Oi, no quips about the age either!

Yell Nazi\'s? Well, there is a German Infantry Re-enactment Group in the UK and they seem to fit in well with the crowds. No shouts of \'Hitler, \'as only got won ball..\' and that - just something to look at it and as near as you can get to the real thing.

As for the PC lot, I am - by profession - one of the worst offenders. My line of work is ultra-PC - if you believe the press! We call as arse an arse, get downright maudlin and angry about certain individuals, let rip like hells bells - a bloody good lot! So PC? Nah! Never! I\'d challenge anyone who raised it too. It is something - a part of our past - that we need to maintain if future generations are to remember.

>>Regarding the 534, she should be left as she is. I would hate to see a coat of paint and other reconstructions, with the exception of the very good conning tower. I thought it better that she wears the patina of all those years under the sea, rather than dulux gloss. <<

No! No! NO! If she\'s allowed to rust she\'ll fall to pieces and end up in the scrappies yard. She needs a good air hammer, some dog leg scrapers, wire brushes and gallons of red lead. Then a base coat of anti-ox primer, a good base coat of flat - and some damn good top coat!

>>By the way, if you pay for Vin to come over, then you will bloody well pay for me as well..! I live in Tasmania.<<

Memories of Oz a-plenty Vin! Including a young lady...I digress! Me, pay for you two? Do I look like the Bank of England! Start saving!

>>I thought the tour guides were pretty good actually when I visited a couple of years back. Remember, its not just Sub nuts like us who visit, but good ole joe public. There has to be a balance between hard fact and entertainment.<<

True, true. However, what could be better than coming face to face with some hairy arsed Unterzeebootsmen who could fill you in on what it is like inside the boat? Oh and dressed the part as well? Not a full uniform - just atypical of a patrol rig....

Joe Public? He loves it! All them people...all that money...that uniform...the girls....

Ah well, I never thought it more than a mad idea anyway. Thanks for the post lads!

Rugby? Pah! If you want REAL Rugby, look no further than Wales! Hen Wladd Fyn\'g Haddau!

Aye,

John</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Mad idea - living history John Griffiths 05/08/2001 06:55PM
RE: Mad idea - living history Vin 05/10/2001 04:33AM
RE: pass me the periscope chris lee 05/10/2001 06:53AM
RE: pass me the periscope John Griffiths 05/10/2001 04:54PM
RE: its Cricket, old boy. MPC 05/13/2001 08:15PM
RE: its Cricket, old boy. Geoff Harvey 05/14/2001 02:15AM
RE: its Cricket, old boy. Vin 05/14/2001 04:00AM
RE: its Cricket, old boy. Vin 05/14/2001 04:11AM
RE: its Cricket, old boy. John Griffiths 05/14/2001 04:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.