General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Explanation please!
Posted by: John Griffiths ()
Date: May 12, 2001 07:25PM

<HTML>Hi!

>>MPC has, in fact partaken of a drop or three of \\\"Nelsons Blood\\\" Bubbley/Pussers - call it what you will) on board HMS Victory during the 80\\\'s. I leave it to you to figure out which one.<<

Right! Well then, that seems to make you one of the Andrew, mate! I mean, you had a whole tot yourself? How old were you going on that old thing?

The issue of The Real McCoy stopped in the Andrew in July of 1970 - so before my time! What was kicking around was usually a pale imitation but there was a Maltese outfit called Saccone and Speed who did an issue known as \'SDR\' which meant, I think, Special Demerera Reserve. It came in the same type of one gallon jar in a wicker basket. My old Sea Daddy told me it was as near as you could get to the Pusser\'s Issue. It was usually bought in by a couple of the Senior Rates but I never tasted it until I was on \'sweepers. Them Frigates I was on were far too stuffy for that!

>> The venue was Nelson\\\'s day cabin and the O.O.D. was really the modern equivalent of a Chief Stoker [CPO(M)]. Anyway.. it was about the time that Chas Tobias introduced \\\"Pussers\\\" rum into the UK and we sampled and chatted and sampled and...... well ...... I managed to get ashore somehow....<<

Chas Tobias? Nah! That\'s like Lambs Navy! Your No.1 is Maltese? Ask her to get you a gallon of that SDR swag when she comes - and that\'s a rum to put hairs on yer body! I don\'t know if they still make it but if they do - gitcha!

>>But yes John the O.O.D really was a Chief Stoker. Believe they may have even had CPO(Ops)(M) on board as well. Cushy draft better than the nearby DQs. Ah perhaps you can tell us something of that establishment :-)<<

Me? DQ\'s? I was never marched in front of the old man for anything....well, there was that time in Barbados...and, oh yeah, dancing on the top of some cars in Amsterdam....! Seriously, DQ\'s? Don\'t know nothing about that! As for CPO(M) on the Victory, well I can believe it. She\'s still in commission!

>>\"Up spirits - stand fast the Holy Ghost\"<<

And by the way just what were you doing in the Admiral\'s berth with a bottle of rum and a CPO Stoker, laddie? The world wants to know...!

Aye!

John
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Crewman - How do I find out more? John Griffiths 05/11/2001 05:03PM
RE: Crewman - How do I find out more? MPC 05/11/2001 05:27PM
RE: Crewman - How do I find out more? Torlef 05/11/2001 05:46PM
RE: Crewman - How do I find out more? Torlef 05/11/2001 05:49PM
RE: Crewman - How do I find out more? Torlef 05/11/2001 05:49PM
RE: Sorry for the mess Torlef 05/11/2001 06:01PM
RE: Crewman - How do I find out more? John Griffiths 05/11/2001 06:24PM
RE: Well read on..... MPC 05/12/2001 05:11PM
RE: Explanation please! John Griffiths 05/12/2001 07:25PM
RE: Crewman - How do I find out more? John Griffiths 05/11/2001 06:25PM
RE: Crewman - How do I find out more? Peter 05/12/2001 10:46PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.