General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: German U-boat Designs and Japanese Subs
Posted by: yorktr ()
Date: May 20, 2001 11:13PM

<HTML>It is my impression that the Japanese \"Long Lance\" torpedo was almost identical for surface ships and submarines. There is no doubt that it was the best torpedo deployed by any of the protagonists, both in range and guidance.
Thank God the Japanese did not deploy their subs as commerce raiders.
The earlier poster mentioned German and Italian subs\' effectiveness in this role; I would dispute the latter, as my studies indicate that Admiral Donitz found the Italian boats to be next to useless...certainly ineffective.
The poster also failed to mention the effectiveness of U.S. Fleet Boats.
It is my contention based on my reading, (though admittedly without really careful statistical analysis), that the Gatos, Albacores et al generally were more effective in commerce raiding than even the German boats, despite the flaws of our early torpedoes. Add to this the superior speed, range, warload, ice cream maker and the fact that each sailor had his own berth, and I think we can safely conclude that the U.S. Fleet boat was the superior production submarine of the war. You cannot count the German type XXI or XXlll boats, as they were really not deployed.
Alright, I\'ll admit it, I am a (U.S.) Navy Brat, but I am descended from aviators, not submariners...</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
German U-boat Designs and Japanese Subs Frank Blazich 05/19/2001 07:33PM
RE: German U-boat Designs and Japanese Subs Rich Mickle 05/20/2001 12:06AM
RE: German U-boat Designs and Japanese Subs Yuri IL\'IN 05/20/2001 08:38PM
RE: German U-boat Designs and Japanese Subs yorktr 05/20/2001 11:13PM
RE: German U-boat Designs and Japanese Subs Rich Mickle 05/26/2001 10:49AM
RE: German U-boat Designs and Japanese Subs kurt 05/21/2001 02:52AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.