General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Marine Infantry Divisions - U-boat crews.
Posted by: Jeff ()
Date: May 26, 2001 11:36PM

<HTML>John,
I put what I have found so far in a series of posts....

One of the first mentions of naval brigades on the Eastern Front occurs in the conference w/ Hitler on January 18, 1945. It reads as follows:

Naval Brigades - During the discussion of the situation on the Eastern Front, the C-in-C Navy offers the Führer a naval rifle regiment of 3,000 men, to be sent to the Army front. The regiment has infantry equipment, i.e. hand weapons, light and heavy machine guns, light infantry guns, and medium mortars. Light mortars and some field kitchens are lacking. The regiment will be ready for transfer at 48 hours notice. The North Sea coast will be exposed by the transfer, to be sure, but this can be borne in view of the emergency in the East, since the North Sea coast is not in acute danger during the winter months. The Führer agrees with this opinion and approves the proposal. The C-in-C Navy determines jointly with the Chief of the General Staff - Army (Keitel) that the regiment is to be sent to the Tilsit sector.

January 19, 45 - Naval Brigades - The C-in-C Navy reports that the 3rd Naval Rifle Regiment, which has been made available to the Army for the Eastern Front, will be ready by the morning of January 20.

My next post has info specifically dealing with the Gydnia regiments...
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Marine Infantry Divisions - U-boat crews. John Griffiths 05/25/2001 07:32PM
RE: Marine Infantry Divisions - U-boat crews. Jeff 05/26/2001 10:51PM
RE: Marine Infantry Divisions - U-boat crews. Jeff 05/26/2001 11:36PM
More info on Naval Brigades... Jeff 05/27/2001 12:03AM
RE: More info on Naval Brigades... Mike 05/28/2001 05:32AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.