General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Submarine week on National Geographic
Date: May 29, 2001 05:50PM

<HTML>I saw this documentary. Very well done. Seems Erich Topp was the highlight and had most of the b/w video. Of course there was a great conversation with Hardegan. Someone mentioned in an earlier topic that he had a \"grin\" on his face..which he did when talking about his \"Operation Pauchenschlag\" (sp?).

It was amazing that Hardegan was navigating using a tourist map of NY City. He mentioned he was merely several hundred yards off shore of Long Island and brought up his entire crew to see the lights of NY.

One thing I didn\'t know was that when the US Navy finally came after his boat, he was in very shallow waters and had to dive. He said the water was only 25 meters. I guess they got the \"stuff\" bombed out of their boat and were on the bottom badly damaged. He had resigned to abandoning ship by having the crew put on life vests and snorkels and swimming up to the surface through the 75 feet of water. He said his hand was on the hatch and he started to turn it to open it, and water started coming in, but then he heard the destroyer continue by with no further depth charges...so he closed his hatch and decided to see if he could save his boat which he was able to do and head back to France.

Great Story. Wish there was a video of some of these men telling their stories to the camera. I have a few books like this but don\'t have the patience to read the whole story versus just watching on tv.

Pat </HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Submarine week on National Geographic Tono 05/29/2001 02:23PM
RE: Submarine week on National Geographic Takeo 05/29/2001 03:11PM
RE: Submarine week on National Geographic Captain Patrick Lane 05/29/2001 05:50PM
RE: Submarine week on National Geographic Kris 05/30/2001 12:54AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.