General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
a bit off topic as well
Posted by: Tom Iwanski ()
Date: June 01, 2001 12:59PM

<HTML>Hi all,

I ran across some photos of interesting British shore defenses improvised to defend against German invasion early in the war. One was a large oil derrick type of structure that was made of large, hollow concrete tubes that was sunk and used as a gun platform. The other was a system of pipes that ran into the channel just off shore. In the event of an invasion, these pipes dumped fuel oil which floated to the surface and was then ignited by a flare pistol. The photo I saw was evidently a test of that system. The fire was quite impressive and seems like it may have been an effective coutermeasure to landing craft, not to mention a nasty smoke screen.

Has anyone heard of these or have any comments on their practicality? Did the Germans consider such devices on the French side of the channel? Are there any remnants of the derrick gun platforms?

On another topic, I have had similar problems with the forums as mentioned in the earlier posts. The errors are similar to a previous issue that was related to code on the uboat.net server. I believe Netscape browsers are immune, and different versions of IE display different symptoms. (firewall behavior may also effect the symptoms if you\'re behind one)

Take care,

Tom</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
a bit off topic as well Tom Iwanski 06/01/2001 12:59PM
RE: Thames Forts MPC 06/01/2001 07:30PM
RE: Thames Forts Terry Andrews 06/01/2001 08:03PM
RE: Thames Forts Rainer Bruns 06/01/2001 08:57PM
RE: Thames Forts Takeo 06/02/2001 04:30PM
RE: Thames Forts Terry Andrews 06/03/2001 04:52PM
RE: Thames Forts Terry Andrews 06/03/2001 04:54PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.