General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly...
Posted by: Jeff ()
Date: June 04, 2001 09:02PM

<HTML>Hello Everyone,

Just thought I\'d update everyone on the latest from the Elbe II bunker in Hamburg. I was very lucky to have just toured it days ago (friday) with Mr. Jak Showell, Jürgen Schlemn from the U-boat Archive and a great chap named David Warwick from the UK.

They have filled Vulkenhafen in with sand (this is the section of the harbor where the bunker is) The bunker itself has also been filled in upto about 20 feet from the collapsed ceiling. The three Type XXI boats have long since been buried.

While walking around the bunker we noticed hundreds of newly drilled holes in the remaining walls and then Jürgen found out that they were going to blast the bunker completely flat the next day...Saturday, June 2 at 5:00pm.

I was hoping to lay claim to being the last American in the bunker and had plans to sell autographed pictures of myself for $50 each.....:-)))))

But good news U-boat fans...the blast failed to bring down the bunker!! They used 151 kilograms of explosives according to the \"Hamburger Morgen Post\".

Three companies have already gone broke trying to bring it down...let\'s hope this new company has no better luck. No word yet on when they will try again.

Somewhere Fritz Todt is smiling.....

All the Best...Jeff</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly... Jeff 06/04/2001 09:02PM
RE: End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly... Walt 06/04/2001 11:29PM
RE: End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly... Jeff 06/05/2001 03:56AM
RE: End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly... Rainer Bruns 06/05/2001 11:16AM
RE: End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly... Takeo 06/05/2001 07:48AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.