General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly...
Posted by: Jeff ()
Date: June 05, 2001 03:56AM

<HTML>Walt,

I agree with your sentiments. Unfortunately, once they are covered, I don\'t think they\'ll ever see the light of day again.

Also, bear in mind that there isn\'t much left of the boats anyway. Their conning towers are gone as is most of their deck plating. At low tide, fortune seekers have ravaged the boats both inside and out for years. I saw pictures of them at the U-boat Archive taken last year and what they showed was pretty sad. The boats were virtually wrecked beyond massive, massive repair.

So even if you did get them out, what would you really have? Three rusty old carcasses costing a fortune repair and return to anything resembling a U-boat.

With the way things are in Germany today, politically, unless they can prove there were Jewish sailors onboard when they were scuttled...those three boats are gone for good.

Please, do not take the Jewish remark as anti-smeitic. It was not meant in that fashion.

All the Best.....Jeff</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly... Jeff 06/04/2001 09:02PM
RE: End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly... Walt 06/04/2001 11:29PM
RE: End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly... Jeff 06/05/2001 03:56AM
RE: End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly... Rainer Bruns 06/05/2001 11:16AM
RE: End Of Elbe 2? Not exactly... Takeo 06/05/2001 07:48AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.